Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Hello and Welcome...

As you can probably tell this blog has been developed for Primary or Elementary school teachers like me.  My name is Julie and I have been a Primary school teacher for twenty years.  In that time I have seen a lot of changes.  Classrooms have moved from chalkboards,to whiteboards, to interactive whiteboards. I have lived through the introduction of: one computer in a classroom, computer labs, banks of computers in classrooms and the introduction of laptops.  I cannot say that the introduction of technology has always been easy.  I think a lot of staff initially looked on computers as just another add on to an already full curriculum.  There was a lot of frustration and still is - they just want IT to work!    

It was slightly easier in the UK - publishers came out with schemes of work to introduce computer skills so the teachers had somewhere to start.  Australia does not seem to have such a clear direction but may do in the future with the introduction of the new Australian Curriculum.  In Australia teachers are expected to integrate technology into the curriculum - this left me wondering when the teacher had time to teach the skills.

With each change I have experienced colleagues who have resisted and complained about the new initiatives and those who have embraced the changes and experienced engaged, excited learners.  I intend to be one of the early adopters of new technologies in the classroom and this is the beginning of my journey... 





                                       Clipart from Clipartheaven.com

No comments:

Post a Comment